Decision follows meeting last week of unions involved in 30th November public sector pensions strike
The Cabinet Office has accepted a request from the TUC’s liaison group on public sector pensions to re-admit Unite and the PCS to forthcoming negotiations on changes to the pension scheme for civil service workers.
UnionNews reported exclusively last week that senior officials at last Thursday’s meeting had agreed the employers should not be allowed to pick and choose which unions they consult.
Negotiations between unions involved in the 30th November national strikes and government departments are continuing.
A Cabinet Office spokesperson said: “The Government are committed to engaging positively and constructively with all trade unions and have written to the General Secretary of the TUC, Brendan Barber, to confirm that that we will not exclude those unions, that have not at this stage made any commitment to the Heads of Agreement, from the remaining talks.
“The sole purpose of these remaining talks is to finalise the outstanding details in the Heads of Agreement. They will not re-open those propositions already agreed and published in the Heads of Agreements before Christmas.”
PCS general secretary Mark Serwotka said: “We welcome the fact that the government has backtracked on its decision to exlcude us and now recognises that unions representing the workers who are affected by its decision have the right to be in talks.
“We will attend every meeting but for any settlement we will need genuine negotiations on the key issues that brought two million public servants out n strike on 30th November – the proposed contributions rise, the increase in retirement age and the imposed switched in indexation.”
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License.