Rank and file construction industry activists had threatened disruptive unofficial action if Stewart Hume (pictured, right) was not allowed to return to work

postcreative

A leading rank and file sparks activist has been told he can return to work after accusations that his employers, Balfour Beatty were attempting to punish him for his role in the seven-month BESNA dispute.

Stewart Hume (Pictured, right, at a Unite protest, February 2012) was told by managers at Balfour Beatty Engineering Services that he was being paid off, despite the company employing less skilled and less-well experienced electricians over the same period.

Earlier this week, Unite activists had threatened disruptive, unofficial action at construction sites around the country if he was not allowed back to work.

The company has now informed him that he can return to work from Monday (10 September) for four weeks.

The decision by BBES management also follows high-level consultations with Unite legal officers and senior reps.

Stewart Hume told UnionNews: “I’m relieved it’s dispersed the situation for the moment.

“But it’s likely to raise its ugly head again unless the company are prepared to guarantee that I’ll have some long-term work.”

It is understood stewards and other activists are meeting this afternoon at the Grangemouth oil refinery where Stewart Hume had worked previously. They are reported to be concerned by some of the terms of their colleague’s return to work and may be seeking further details from the company.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License.
Author avatar

postcreative