The TUC Executive Committee agreed to encourage UK unions and their members to take the following actions: Join Coalition of Resistance rally and march starting from Smith Square at 5pm (London) – and, if you are able to, sending a delegation to the Be …
The TUC Executive Committee agreed to encourage UK unions and their members to take the following actions:
- Join Coalition of Resistance rally and march starting from Smith Square at 5pm (London) – and, if you are able to, sending a delegation to the Belgian trade union rally in Brussels on Wednesday 14 November from 12 noon to 1pm outside the European Union’s Berlaymont building (the nearest metro is Schumann): the TUC and several unions will be represented;
- Write to the Greek and Spanish governments to protest at the cuts being imposed on working people – the letters the TUC has sent are in the link at the bottom based on standard letters sent to us by our colleagues in those countries – please use these, and the addresses in the letters, as a template for your own letters;
- Post material about the day of action and the ETUC’s alternative to austerity on their websites – as well as the materials sent to you in the email on 30 October, there are now more materials and links to information about events in other European countries on the ETUC website (you can access them through the ETUC Facebook page. The TUC will be putting more information up on the TUC website over the weekend and we will alert you on Monday about these so that you can either copy them, use them as a base for your own materials, or add links to them to your website;
- Blog on aspects of the campaign: the TUC will be putting blogs on www.touchstoneblog.org.uk and www.strongerunions.org from tomorrow onwards which you could re-use, adapt or link to (again, we’ll alert you as they are added) and we will be encouraging other blogs to carry material – please do post your own blogs where you can on any aspect of the campaign; and
- Encourage members to distribute materials virally, including through twitter and the ETUC Facebook page mentioned above. In particular, please encourage officers, activists and members to ‘like’ the Facebook page and use the #14Nov or #14Nov2012 hashtag for tweets. The TUC is developing an infographic demonstrating the problems with austerity in Europe which we will be launched this week for people to share virally.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License.