Union Solidarity International (USi) seeks to appoint a new member of staff to develop USi’s digital media, and to help provide advice, support and training to the trade union movement
Job Description – USi Coordinator
Union Solidarity International (USi) seeks to appoint a new member of staff to develop USi’s digital media, and to help provide advice, support and training to the trade union movement as part of a small team.
- Based in our central Manchester office
- One-year renewable contract
- Full-time or part-time: hours negotiable, minimum 21 hours per week.
- Salary in the range: £19,000 – £25,000 per annum pro rata, depending upon qualifications and experience.
Union Solidarity International is a not-for-profit organisation, working closely with a range of national and international trade union organisations, to support the development of international organisation and solidarity through social media and digital technologies. This includes:
- News and analysis of the international trade union movement on www.usilive.org and social media streams including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Weibo and others
- Support, training and advice to trade unions in the application of digital media for organising, campaigning and education
- The development of an online resource centre to assist unions organise internationally, working in partnership with global union federations
- Partnership with the Global Labour Institute in online education provision
USi shares premises and works together with the Global Labour Institute in Manchester, which provides education, capacity-building and research on international labour movement development and organising strategies.
We are seeking to recruit a new member of staff to support USi’s activities. The successful candidate will work as part of a small team responsible for:
- Managing and developing the USi web site and social media streams
- Ensuring a flow of good quality news and analysis from around the world on issues relevant to the labour movement
- Designing and delivering training courses in the exploitation of digital media for national unions and international union federations
- Providing advice and guidance to affiliated unions
- Providing technical support to GLI’s research and education activities
- Day-to-day administrative support in office and events management
USi’s looking for candidates who are well-organised; have good communications skills, both in writing and in spoken English; have good skills in IT, communications and social media; have an understanding of the principles and objectives of the trade union movement; and an appreciation of the political foundations of USi, its affiliates, and its partner organisations.
Applications from non-UK residents with legal entitlement to work in the UK are very welcome. USi does not have the administrative capacity to be a licensed sponsor for working visas. Applicants from outside the UK may be asked to attend an interview by Skype.
If you are interested, please send your CV and a covering letter setting out your interest and suitability for the position to email@example.com (by email only please).
Closing date: 31 March 2016
Interviews: 11 April 2016
- Competence and imagination in ICT, including web site management and development (WordPress) and social media applications.
- Good writing skills
- An interest in international politics, economics and social development issues relevant to the trade union movement
- Broad understanding of the principles and objectives of the trade union movement, and an appreciation of the political foundations of USi and its partner organisations
- Interpersonal and communications skills, both orally and in writing
- Self-organisation and capability to manage work efficiently and imaginatively
- Ability and willingness to travel, both in the UK and overseas
- Knowledge and/or experience in the trade union movement
- Skills in film-making, graphic design, or related digital media
- Non-English language skills
- Trade union education teaching experience
- Experience of work and/or study overseas
- Publication editing, design and/or production experience
- Project management skills and experience
- Familiarity with CiviCRM or equivalent software
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License.