Bectu and NUJ suspend pensions action but warn they will go on strike unless there are substantial changes
Today’s planned strike at Associated Press and Associated Press Television News has been called off after management agreed to talk to the unions about changes to its pension deal.
The first of two strikes was due to start this morning, followed by section strike on Saturday, June 16. The Bectu and NUJ had said further days could be announced at a later date and members had not ruled out taking action during the Olympics.
Following the eleventh-hour intervention by management, the NUJ said: “The NUJ is pleased that AP management has agreed to enter into meaningful talks over pension provision at the company. On the basis of these talks, which will begin next week, the joint unions have agreed to call off the planned strike action.”
BECTU general secretary Gerry Morrissey said: “Management’s agreement to resume talks is important; however the dispute will not be resolved unless there are substantial changes to management’s position.”
The unions believed the changes to the pension provision proposed were unfair and had been made without adequate consultation and balloted for industrial action. Among NUJ members at APTN there was a 100% cent vote for strike action and at AP 87.5%. The turnout was 79.5% at APTN and 80% at AP. There was an 88% vote for strike action among Bectu members at APTN.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License.