Unite negotiators have rejected a “very disappointing” offer to settle the 3-month Tesco drivers’ dispute in Doncaster. The union had suspended a 48-hour strike scheduled for Thursday and Friday (18-19 October) to allow negotiations to take place. Howe …
The union had suspended a 48-hour strike scheduled for Thursday and Friday (18-19 October) to allow negotiations to take place.
However, officials now believe further industrial action by the 180 drivers ‘is on the cards’.
Unite has been campaigning for the drivers’ jobs to be safeguarded since Tesco transferred the workforce to haulage giant, Eddie Stobart at the beginning of August.
Unite regional officer, Harriet Eisner said: “Our members had put great faith in today’s talks and that their new employer, Eddie Stobart Ltd (ESL) would be putting a fair offer on the table. They are very disappointed and extremely angry that this was not the case.
“Unite believes that there is no need for Stobart’s to get rid of these drivers.
“We don’t believe that the firm has the capacity in its existing network to properly service the Tesco distribution centre in Doncaster.
“Stobart’s would have to recruit new drivers on worse terms and conditions to run the operation, once they have sacked our members.
Unite says the drivers had great support in Doncaster when they took two days of strike action last week, after ESL issued 90-days’ notice of termination of employment.
This came after the Tesco transport workforce was transferred to ESL, which has refused to give an undertaking the drivers will be re-employed when the 90-day period ends.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License.